Vegan “Cream” of Mushroom Soup
I love mushrooms. They are literally one of my favorite foods. This soup has SO much flavor due to the fresh herbs + coconut milk. I would have never thought to add coconut milk to a mushroom soup but the flavor is truly perfection. I like to serve this with fresh bread and/or a green salad.
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 x 10 ounce package of white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 10 ounce package of baby bellas, sliced
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- A heaping T of flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 t fresh thyme (about 4 sprigs)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Olive oil
- S+P to taste (season well)
In a large saucepan add butter + oil over medium heat. Add garlic, shallot + onion. Season with S+P, add oregano + thyme. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
Add mushrooms + soy sauce. Cook covered for about 10 mins so the mushrooms can release their water.
Sprinkle w/ flour + stir to thicken. Pour in wine. Give it one more good stir + simmer for another 10 mins.
Pour in coconut milk + stir well. Taste. Season as needed. Allow this to cook for a few minutes to let the flavors meld. Remove from heat. Using a hand blender, blend about 3/4 of the soup smooth. Do a final taste + season as needed.