Creamy Vegan Avocado Pesto
I’ve been making this recipe forever. It was one of the first recipes I posted on my first blog over 8 years ago. With only a handful of ingredients, most of which are pantry staples, this is one of my weekly go-tos.
About 4 servings
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 c fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3 c pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 organic lemon
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt and pepper to taste ( have a good amount of salt on hand )
- Water as needed
- 2 c fresh, organic spinach, packed
- 16 oz pasta of choice, cooked
(You can use gluten-free noodles as well. We love thick fettuccine noodles!)
- 1 organic tomato, diced
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a food processor or blender. With the machine running, stream in lemon juice, 3 T olive oil and water as needed to achieve a smooth and creamy pesto. Season with salt (do NOT be shy) & pepper.
In a large pan, heat the remaining 1 T of olive oil and sauté 2 cups of spinach until just wilted. Add pesto and cooked pasta. Toss well. Garnish with diced tomatoes. If you’re not going the vegan route, feel free to throw in some grated parmesan or fresh mozzarella cheese.